Basic sponge cake is made with very few ingredients that are mostly available in every kitchen pantry. This cake is mostly used to make layered cake. This recipe is the recipe that every new or experienced baker needs to have in their recipe repertoire. This cake was one of the first cake recipes that I learned to make and it served me very well everytime as it is a fool proof recipe.
The only thing you need to keep in mind is the proper whisking of eggs and sugar till it reaches the ribbon consistency.
I have never had any problem with this recipe, so I thought to share this recipe with you.
- Refined flour – 100 g
- Powdered sugar – 100 g
- Eggs – 4 no.
- Vanilla essence – 5 ml.
- Salt – a pinch
- Sieve refined flour and keep it aside.
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks.
- Whisk egg whites till it gets light and fluffy consistency.
- Now add egg yolks one by one and keep whisking.
- Add sugar little by little and whisk well after each addition.
- Add Vanilla essence and mix.
- Add sifted refined flour and salt in three batches and fold it with the help of spatula.
- Pour the batter in prepared tin and bake at 180°C for 20-25 minutes in a pre-heated oven.
Variation :- If you want to make basic chocolate sponge remove two tablespoons of refined flour and add two tablespoons of dutch processed cocoa and sift together. You can also use natural cocoa powder, I ask for dutch processed cocoa because it gives dark color and more chocolaty flavor.
This is the basic recipe used for layered cakes. So whether you are making a fresh fruit whipped cream cake, strawberry cake or mango gateau etc. just bake this cake and you are good to go. It has a soft, delicate, spongy and uniform crumb that absorbs the moisture from the cream very well, making it suitable for just about any kind of cake
- I always use a pinch of salt mostly in my recipes as it enhances and balances the flavor very well. Make two cakes, one with salt and another without salt, you will easily see the difference in flavor.
- This cake less sweet as compared to another cakes because this is used in layered cakes only.
- This cake is best for layered cakes frosted with whipped cream or ganache.
- Soak the cake with sugar syrup before frosting, it will make it soft and remove its dryness.
- Taste :- Soft, Spongy, mellow flavour, dry.
- Storage :- Store in an airtight container or clingwrap.
- Shelf life :- 2-3 days in room temperature
If you like this recipe do leave a comment.
Do post your pics of the cake made with above recipe.
Till then HAPPY BAKING